Turkana Basin Institute is an independent, international research institute, which facilitates scientific research in the Turkana Basin, with particular emphasis on prehistory.
The institution is looking to fill the following position:
An experienced, high energy, high capacity, and achievement oriented Human Resource Manager.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the efficient and progressive establishment and formalization of the Human Resource department through a wide variety of functions which include strategic planning, supervising and providing consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, recruitment, compensation, benefits, training and development, budget, labor relations and HR administration.
- Establishing a fully functioning and professionally run HR department
- Preparing the Human Resource budget and strategic plan; estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning monetary resources; developing action plans; measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances and ensuring their execution
- Ensuring adherence and understanding of the Human Resource Policies by all staff
- Providing guidance in assessing organizational structures and implementing structural changes
- Supporting, implementing and administering the effective and timely recruitment processes in the hiring, on boarding, developing and retaining the best talents available to support the strategic human resources needs of the organization and ensuring that TBI’s human resource targets are met
- Developing, maintaining and updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions.
- Maintaining optimal staff numbers and ensuring high quality staffing by establishing a recruitment and selection program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; and recommending changes.
- Designing and leading the development of compensation and benefits systems: scheduling periodic salary surveys and job evaluations; preparing salary budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual salary actions; recommending, planning, and implementing salary structure revisions.
- Developing and monitoring of a performance management system, training managers to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management conferences with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; counseling employees and supervisors.
- Liaising with employer and employee agencies; Labour office and FKE to ensure fair and equal treatment of staff and management
- Ensuring legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource requirements.
- Driving and instilling a team approach among staff towards accomplishing the TBI mission as well as managing, coaching, inspiring, and growing the team
- Leading selected change management initiatives
- Any other duties relating to the function
Required Skills & Experience
- Ability to build a Human Resources department from scratch
- Professional qualification in human resource management (CHRP, HND)
- Be a member of the Institute of Human Resource Management (IHRM)
- Master’s degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences or related field.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive experience with at least seven of those in Senior management in a high performing, busy environment
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in people operations.
- Emotional intelligence, flexible work style, excellent diplomatic skills across all levels of the organization with the ability to inspire others to achieve a common objective
- Unfailing attention to detail
- High degree of integrity and dependability
- Ability to work independently and as an integral part of a team
- Willingness to travel and spend time in the stations
How to Apply
Please email applications to email@example.com by 10th December 2018.
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.