Operational Communications Advisor Job at MSF Feb 2022
Based in Nairobi M/W
- Closing date:
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, an international medical humanitarian organisation founded in 1971, provides medical aid to people facing life-threatening crises, mainly in situations of armed conflicts, epidemics, natural disasters and healthcare exclusion. The Paris-based operational centre of MSF is present in more than 30 countries.
We are looking for a Operational communications advisor – Based in Nairobi M/W
Under the hierarchical responsibility of the OCP Cell Managers based in Nairobi and Dubai, and the functional supervision of the Operational Communications Manager, the Operational Communications Advisor initiates, manages and coordinates MSF’s communication actions within his/her perimeter (country portfolio and thematic working areas – which will include the countries currently under the management of the Nairobi and Dubai Operational Cells: Sudan, South Sudan, Somaliland, Yemen, Iraq, and Jordan).
This position is based in Nairobi, but require a regular presence on MSF’s fields of intervention, as well as in the MSF Operational Cell in Dubai.
Participate to the definition of MSF’s Communications strategy:
· Identify potential Communication actions based on the operational events within his/her
perimeter (country portfolio and thematic working areas);
· Participate in the definition of MSF’s communication strategy;
· Stimulate reflection within MSF regarding the issues in his/her perimeter.
Support the implementation of Communications projects:
· Collect and analyse information and contents (photos, texts, etc.) and make them available to
the relevant MSF Comms production units and media.
· Formalize the Communications initiatives – upon approval by relevant interlocutor(s) – and
implement them as a Comms project:
- Outline the objectives in terms of Communications strategy (messages, targets,
channels, tools) in collaboration with production / media relations units.
- Manage/coordinate the Communication project until its assessment;
· Ensure media / context monitoring, and flag relevant topics / items, on the themes and
communication issues within his/her perimeter.
Provide counseling and support to MSF field teams and operational cells:
· Advise and support the field Communications staff and the Operational cells in their decision-making with regard to the Communications strategy;
· Ensure the implementation of the Communication strategy in his / her country portfolio –
coordinating, where appropriate, with his/her peers within the MSF movement;
· Provide technical support to field Communications staff;
· Share and promote MSF’s Communication tools and good practices.
Transfer of Comms skills to Operational field staff:
· Contribute to the Communications training of MSF field coordinators;
· Stimulate and initiate the relevant initiatives to build MSF public positioning within the field
Good writing skills as well as strong synthesis and analytical capabilities.
Ability to work autonomously and in a transversal and participative manner.
At least three years of professional experience in a similar position.
Humanitarian field experience is mandatory, and MSF experience is a strong asset.
Languages: Fluency in English (C1).
Arabic and/or French is an asset.
Status: Long-term contract (3 years renewable).
Executive position. Full time. Based in Nairobi (with frequent travelling).
Gross annual salary: Kenya Shillings 3 465 673 KES. Additional benefits applicable, based on Nairobi office reward policy.
Starting date : asap.
How to Apply
Kindly send your application (letter of interest and CV) to:
till February 13th 2022
Only selected candidates will be contacted.