Reporting to: Executive Director
The East African Wild Life Society (EAWLS) is a membership-based NGO that seeks to enhance the conservation and wise use of the environment and natural resources in East Africa for the benefit of current and future generations.
We are seeking an energetic, creative and visionary new senior team member who will help us build upon our more than 60 years of experience and leadership in the conservation sector, helping us enhance and demonstrate how we are strikingly relevant and impactful.
The Head of Communications (HoC) will provide leadership and strategic direction to the Society’s communications, public relations, membership, fundraising and advocacy activities.
He/She will lead in the development and oversee the implementation of a communications and development(fundraising & Advocacy) strategies, aimed at supporting the Society’s goals, strengthening its membership relations and boosting its fundraising and advocacy efforts towards fulfilling its mission.
Working closely as part of the senior management team, led by the Executive Director, the HoC will build, lead and manage an effective and creative membership and communications team.
This team will be responsible for closely liaising with and growing the Society’s membership, and communicating to the general public, government and other local and international stakeholders about the work of the Society.
- Communications – Transforming EAWLS public visibility and strengthen the profile by building on and substantially enhancing its existing internal & External communications to our target audiences such that the public, the government, EAWLS members, partners and the international community are inspired and enrolled in EAWLS work and mission.
- Fundraising – shape, manage and drive the implementation of a successful fundraising strategy to support organizational and project development needs, widen the opportunity to secure funds through a broader approach to fundraising, including targeting grant making trusts and foundations.
- Advocacy – Spearhead the development and execution of advocacy strategy, ensuring that it is firmly grounded on evidence and a good analysis of our advocacy targets in Kenya and the region while effectively engaging our members, stakeholders and the media.
- Membership – Grow and diversify the Society’s membership in a strategic manner, while also strengthening the provision of a range of popular value-add membership services and benefits.
- Marketing – Provide overall leadership in the growth, diversification and marketing of Society’s merchandizes and advertisement space in the Swara publication.
- Digital Media – Oversee, develop and manage all digital media for the Society, including its website, publications, videos and a strategy for social media engagement.
- Swara – Ensure timely publication and circulation of high quality Swara Magazine
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Senior Management Team to ensure that the
- Society works and delivers impact in a manner that enables it to communicate its work in a strikingly relevant, rich and captivating manner.
- BSc/BA and or MSc/MA in Communications and or related filed from a reputable University.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a similar profession nationally and regionally covering as much as possible the duties and responsibilities outlined above.
- Experience in developing and transforming the visibility of an organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including proposal writing, report writing and delivering presentations.
- Experience in all aspects of fundraising, from developing and managing strategies, plans, budgets and administrative systems.
- A good understanding of advocacy with regards to conservation/environmental issues.
- Strong team leadership, people management, interpersonal and networking skills.
- Ability to convey the Society’s work with confidence and credibility.
- Being strategic and creative, being results-driven, and having positive personal and organisational relationships and being a team player able to lead as well as support others.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a short statement outlining their communications, fundraising & advocacy strategic direction for the Society.
This is a two-year renewable term appointment subject to satisfactory performance each term.
Email applications should be submitted to email@example.com by 22nd April 2019.
NB:Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.