Ref. No. NRS/138/102015
fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit a Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist in its Push-Pull Programme to be based in Mbita, western Kenya.
Overall role: Establishing and managing an overall results-based framework, and a robust monitoring, learning and evaluation system with well-defined results, milestones and targets for the implementation of research projects under the Push-Pull programme.
- Establishing and managing a performance-monitoring framework with clear-cut goals, outcomes, outputs, inputs, processes, indicators, data needs and sources, and reporting formats and frequency, for effective monitoring, reporting and updating progress of projects in the Push-Pull programme;
- Developing comprehensive baselines of projects, including biophysical and socioeconomic conditions in the target areas or populations, and collecting periodic data and information against the baselines to assess and report progress on the overall development of beneficiary communities, and on project specific benchmarks;
- Creating and managing geo-referenced databases with data from baselines, periodically collected performance data, project results, publications, and general reference data;
- Working with scientists and taking lead in developing M&E tools with performance indicators and targets embedded in each project’s intervention logic for implementation and tracking;
- Assisting scientists in developing overall Push-Pull management programme and monitoring framework, as well as project-specific and implementing partner-specific work plans;
- Organising and conducting ex-ante baseline, mid-term and post-project evaluations of all Push-Pull projects;
- Coordinating with each project partners’ project implementation teams for data planning, identification of data sources, and collection of data for monitoring purposes;
- Preparing periodic project progress reports, and the overall Push-Pull programme Results Based Management annual reports with the support of scientists, partner organisations, and project management staff;
- Working with scientists in developing project proposals;
- Monitoring and following up progress on various proposals, meetings, reports, working papers, etc. with scientists and partner organisations;
- Identifying key issues, lessons learned, and best practices in the Push-Pull programme and projects, and organise research documentation.
- Masters degree in project management, and social sciences (such as rural development, economics, or agricultural economics), or similarly relevant development fields.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in monitoring & evaluation in a research related field preferably linked to international agricultural research, applied sciences, or Research-for-Development (R4D).
- Project planning, monitoring and evaluation of donor-funded projects
- Developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project management
- Developing and/or using performance management plans
- Using knowledge management software or database management software
- Managing grants or contracts.
- Demonstrated ability in development project design, including indicator development, project metadata analysis, and monitoring and evaluation of research and development projects.
- Must have excellent analytical skills along with strong organisational ability.
- Must be able to obtain, analyse and evaluate a variety of information, and organise, interpret and present it in meaningful oral or written form for varied audiences, as well as provide solid analysis leading to sound decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills, and a high degree of computer literacy are preferred.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.