Laikipia County Government
Office of the Governor
County Public Service Board (Re-Advertisement of Vacancy)
Pursuant to the County Government Act 2012, Section 57, the Governor’s office, Laikipia County wishes to announce the following position in the County Public Service Board:
Overall Duties and Responsibilities of the County Public Service Board
1. Establish and abolish offices in the County Public Service.
2. Appoint persons to hold or act in office of Public County Offices including in the Boards of Urban areas within the County and to confirm appointments.
3. Exercise disciplinary control over and remove persons holding or acting in those offices as provided for under this part.
4. Prepare regular reports for admissions to the County Assembly on the execution of the functions of the Board.
5. Promote in the County Public Service the values and principles referred to in articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
6. Evaluate and report to the County Assembly on the extent to which the values and principles referred to in articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 are complied with in the County Public Service.
7. Facilitate the development of coherent, integrated Human Resource Planning and Budgeting for personnel emolument in the County.
8. Advice the County Government on Human Resource Management and development.
9. Advice the County Government on implementation and monitoring of the National Performance Management System in the County.
10. Make recommendations to the salaries and remunerations Commission on behalf of the County Government, on the remuneration, pensions and gratuities for County Public Service employees.
Secretary of the County Public Service Board
Specific duties and responsibilities
a) Provide strategic leadership for effective delivery of Board mandate as per the County’s Mission, Vision and Strategic plan;
b) Oversee management of the finances, preparation and submission of the Board annual Plans, Programmes and estimates;
c) Make regular reports for submission to the County Assembly on the execution of the functions of the Board; execute the decisions of the board;
d) Day to day administration of the secretariat and welfare of staff;
e) Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the board from time to time.
Qualifications and Requirements
For appointment to this position the candidate must:
a) Be a Kenyan Citizen.
b) Be a holder of a first degree from a University recognized in Kenya. (A Master’s degree will be an added advantage)
c) Satisfy the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 on Leadership and Integrity.
d) Have knowledge and working experience of not less than five years.
e) Be a professional who demonstrates absence of breach of the relevant professional code of conduct.
f) Understand the diversity within the county.
g) Be capable to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
h) Be visionary and strategic thinker.
i) Be committed to be part of a team that will enable the County Government achieve her vision.
j) Be a Certified Public secretary of good professional standing.
NB. Applicants must meet values and principals set out in Articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and must attach copies of clearance by;
i. Higher Education Loans Board
ii. Kenya Revenue Authority
iii. Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission
So as to reach the Interim County Secretary on or before Friday 9th August 2013.
i) The advertisement is open to applicants from both the public and private sectors. Please note: that state and public officers who may apply will have to relinquish their positions before appointment by HE. The Governor.
ii) The Secretary of the county public service board shall be engaged on full time basis. The first priority shall be given to the applicants who shall be engaged on full time basis. However, applicants who would avail themselves on part time basis will be given second priority.
iii) Applicants should clearly indicate in their applications whether they can be engaged on full time or part time basis.
iv) Only shortlisted and successful candidates shall be contacted.
Remuneration and benefits for the above post will be determined by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission
How to Apply
All applications should be clearly marked on top of the envelope indicating SECRETARY, COUNTY PUBLIC SERVICE BOARD.
Application letters accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of relevant Academic and Professional Certificates, copy of the National Identity Card or Passport, Telephone number (s) and other relevant supporting documents should be addressed to
The Interim County Secretary,
P.O Box 1271-10400
Or Hand delivered to the Office of the Governor in Nanyuki (former mayor’s parlour).
Laikipia County is an equal opportunity employer hence women, persons with disabilities, minority and marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.