Project Accountant Job at Farm Africa in Nairobi Kenya June 2014
Farm Africa is a different kind of charity, working to end hunger and bring prosperity to rural eastern Africa. Our sustainable, community-led projects help Africa’s farmers feed Africa’s people – for the long-term.
We want to double our impact by 2015 and are looking for talented staff to help us achieve this. We can reach more farmers by being experts in our field, pushing boundaries, working flexibly and sharing knowledge.
Job Title: Project Accountant
Reports To: Finance Manager
Staff Reporting to Post holder: None
Location: Nairobi with regular travel to the field
Duration & Hours: fixed term, full time
Purpose of the Role: To ensure a high standard of financial management in the Farm Africa Country Office. Working with the finance manager to ensure a high standard of financial management in the Kenya programmes.
Providing support to the project teams with budgeting, procurement, processing payments and other financial transactions.
Producing donor reports and monitoring compliance with donor budgets.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To ensure compliance with the basic standards contained in the Farm Africa finance procedures manual.
- To assist with the general financial management in the Kenya Country Office
- To ensure safe custody of the Kenya Country Office assets
- To play an active role as a member of the Kenya Country office and international finance teams
- To manage the Kenya Country Office bank accounts and cash flow on a daily basis ensuring that there is always sufficient funds for operations
- To maintain mileage and service records for office vehicles
- To process Staff Working Advance requests
- To maintain the advance control accounts and follow up with staff to ensure that they are accounted for accurately and on time as per the Farm Africa policies
- To process payments and ensure that each payment/transaction is in compliance with the basic standards contained in the Farm Africa finance and procedures manual, budget and donor budgets and ensure the timely remittance of payments.
- To maintain an up to date accurate financial transactions in the systems i.e. QuickBooks & SUN Systems.
- To work with the Finance & Administration Manager to improve systems and controls
- To handle petty cash and update the accounting system with cash transactions on a daily basis
- To prepare bank, cash and other assigned account reconciliations
- To maintain an up to date, neat and adequate filing systems for all accounting documents and ensure that the time it takes for document retrieval is kept to a minimum
- Ensure that all office utilities are paid promptly and maintain a rapport with the suppliers and ensure that there are no outstanding invoices pending
- To prepare inter-project transactions schedules for payments made on behalf of other projects by 5th of every month
- Manage bank relationships including issues of signatories, follow-up on transfers and any other banking related issues
- Ensure timely remittance of statutory deductions on a monthly basis
- Preparing schedules during statutory audits and be part of the Audit Committee
- To maintain an up-to-date grant register for sub-grantees containing information on the total grant commitment, funds disbursed and expenditure reported for each grantee
- To disburse grant funds accurately and in a timely manner
- To ensure that grantees submit their financial reports on time and in the correct format and give advice where weaknesses in financial management are identified.
- To support the grantees to improve their capacity through training and regular visits
- To obtain a copy of the external audit report for all grantees
- To participate in weekly Finance meetings
- To complete an annual appraisal with the Finance Manager
- To participate in workshops organised by the Farm Africa Kenya / UK offices, as required
- Preparation of the monthly budget monitoring and donor reports
- Preparation of the Quarterly and Annual Budgets.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance or other relevant discipline.
- CPA (Part 2 Section 4)
- Project accounting
- Excellent Quickbooks or other related program competency
- Experience in planning, budget preparation and monitoring
- Financial reporting to donors
- SUN Systems competency
Skills & abilities
- Financial training techniques
- Integrity and straight-forwardness
- Willingness and ability to travel outside work station
Farm Africa seeks to employ those who believe, as we do, that farmers can and will play a key role in achieving long-term rural prosperity in Africa and who seek to deliver on those beliefs by:
- being experts in our field, delivering insightful/impactful evidence-based solutions
- pushing boundaries, being creative with new and old solutions
- acting for the long-term, building relationships and delivering long-lasting change for farmers
- working flexibly, taking advantage of the most effective solutions, whether from the communities, private sector or government
- sharing knowledge with others, reaching more farmers than we do alone, ensuring effective technologies are widely accessed.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply please submit your CV, salary history and one-page application letter with the reference being the post title in the subject line to: email@example.com by 17:00 on 25 June 2014.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive we are only able to contact shortlisted applicants.