Reference Number: DM-28/02/19
To work in team responsible for data capture, data quality and data analysis routines as part of a routine clinical surveillance/quality improvement project and a multicentre randomized controlled trial taking place in a number of hospitals in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. The incumbent will be responsible for continued development of a set of analysis scripts using R that can be applied to data collected from hospitals and turning the raw data into informative visualizations. This work will be conducted with a larger group of analysts to provide hospitals with regular reports on their patient populations and quality of health care services. The post will require someone with skills in programming in R, some experience with web-based graphic libraries, conversant with the LINUX operating system as well as data management skills who is a good team player. Some support for data management and optimising operating environments is also anticipated.
- Ability to develop analytical code in R or python
- Ability to transform data and processes into informative visualizations
- Responsible with Data Management and Analysis Team Leader for data archiving and version control of analysis scripts (familiarity with Git or any distributed version control system an advantage)
- Responsible with Senior Data Manager and Information Team Leader for production of regular hospital reports outputting analyses into MS Office or other documents
- Ability to perform analyses on request for research team leaders
- Understand and help configure the LINUX based operations on the servers (including managing data archiving, security etc)
- Understand and help configure synchronization tools we use for peripheral sites to the server
- Help upgrade our data management platform moving towards web-based systems if/when internet connectivity improves in sites
- Understand and manage the statistical programming approach being used in R
- Providing training / support to other staff and hospital collaborators
- Good communication with senior personnel in the research team and with partnering hospitals
- Developing analytical code in R to provide routine reports and graphical displays of large hospital datasets
- Working to ensure data appropriately managed and archived and that all analytic code is documented and archived with version control
- Working with data managers and other researchers to integrate analytic tools with data collection
- Performing analyses on request of senior team members and interpreting results
- Providing training / support to other staff and/or hospital staff
- Degree in Statistics / Computer Science (either Statistician with good programming skills or Computer Scientist with sufficient training in Statistics)
- At least 1 year of relevant experience in a similar role
- Ability to program in R and clearly document and version control code
- Ability to use scripting languages e.g. PHP
- Data management skills – ideally experience with large databases including development of data dictionaries, data cleaning logs – (knowledge of REDCap an advantage)
- Good level of ICT skill (understanding of basics of Linux and MySQL)
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Good team player
How To Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 14th March 2019.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).