Reference Number: 270219
To provide statistical support and data management oversight for ongoing studies in the Epidemiology and Demography Department.
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) based in Kilifi, Kenya, conducts high quality research focussing on diseases that present a significant burden on low and middle-income countries. KWTRP is a partnership between the Kenya Medical Research Institute, the Wellcome Trust and the University of Oxford, and a world-renowned health research unit. KWTRP works with scientists, health services and local communities to achieve better health, while developing local scientific leadership and infrastructure.
With 200 staff, 15-20 active research grants with a combined value in excess of £10m, the Epidemiology and Demography Department (EDD) is the largest department at KWTRP. EDD conducts multidisciplinary studies in three areas: Invasive Bacterial Diseases, Virus Epidemiology and Control, and Human Genetic Factors. EDD is also home to the Kilifi Health and Demographic Surveillance System, a pioneer in the integration of field, hospital and laboratory surveillance data. Working predominantly in Kenya, EDD collaborates with partners in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, Europe and the USA.
The Statistician will be a member of the Statistics and Data Management team working primarily on studies within the Invasive Bacterial Diseases group.
- Developing study analysis plans and inputing into data management plans
- Providing advice on randomization and frequently observing randomization
- Providing advice on database development for study data management
- Overseeing data entry, conducting routine data checks, resolving queries and generating reports.
- Liaising with trial and data managers and programmers about data quality and missing data, verifying data accuracy and validity. Scheduling and preparing progress reports and/or analyses for independent Data Monitoring Committees, Steering Committees, and publications.
- Actively interrogating the data for discrepancies, errors, and missing data, in order to verify the accuracy and validity of the data. Reporting and liaising with trial investigators, data clerks, data managers and programmers on the quality of the data, and resolving any errors according to the study protocol.
- Discussing and interpreting results with colleagues and collaborators in the trial/study.
- Ensuring deadlines and project milestones relating to data and analyses are met, coordinating with other members of staff and external collaborators as necessary
- Support the production of summary tables and graphics for interim and final analyses
- Preparing and depositing research data and documentation for curation and archiving
- Ensuring the study handling and processing of data is in accordance with the appropriate data protection regulations
- A Degree in Mathematics or Statistics
- 3 years experience in similar position with demonstrated research experience, preferably in the health sciences
- Demonstrated research experience, preferably in the health sciences.
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with one or more statistical packages (including Stata, R or SAS) plus knowledge of any SQL-compliant DBMS (e.g. MS-Access, MS-SQL, MySQL Postgres, Oracle, DB2 etc); exposure to GIS analysis
- Proficiency with statistical and data management procedures (data cleaning, manipulation, summarization, tables, listings, graphics, and inferential statistical output), and report generation.
- Good analytical ability, planning and organisational skills
- Attentive to detail with the capacity to work with/ follow laid down processes and procedures
- Ability to work independently/ with minimum supervision and within stipulated deadlines and schedules
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
Note: This post is a development position and is anticipated to be offered for a maximum of two years in total. The successful candidate may ultimately be sponsored to conduct an MSc in statistics or a related subject should they demonstrate the necessary aptitude and capability.
How To Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 13 March, 2019.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).