Project Officer to Kakuma Field Office
Place: Kakuma , Kenya
DanChurchAid (DCA) is working in Turkana and West Pokot counties with refugees and local communities to enhance peace, livelihoods and resilience.
DCA implements projects directly as well as through local partner organizations.
DCA is seeking to recruit an experienced and energetic Kenya based project officer.
Financial inclusion (the access to appropriate financial products and services that meet existing needs) is a key driver for creating self-reliance and resilience especially among disaster affected communities. DCA recognizes the need to strengthen its Country Programme with this new position in Turkana and West Pokot Counties.
The Project Officer will support DCA and partner organizations to enhance access to financial services for communities served by the various DCA funded projects.
The position is based in Kakuma, Turkana County and reports to the DCA Area Manager based in Kakuma.
Duties and responsibilities
- Facilitate and support DCA & partner staff in the implementation of livelihoods and youth empowerment projects that enhance access to financial services and products through field based technical backstopping, training and accompaniment.
- Facilitate and support cash-based interventions in DCA projects.
- Support and drive innovation in the sector of financial inclusion and cash-based interventions including relevant digitisation.
- Support the day to day implementation of assigned DCA interventions at the field level. This entails development of detailed implementation plans, having a teaching and facilitative role, staff supervision as well as monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Facilitate DCA partnership engagement relevant to financial inclusion at field level, including with other I/NGOs, UN agencies, local government agencies and the private and banking sector.
- Facilitate/support collaboration and cross learning among DCA & partners staff through information sharing, exposure visits including active partner engagements
- Produce monthly projects progress reports to DCA and perform any other responsibilities as determined and assigned by the Area Manager from time to time.
Required Professional Qualifications:
- University level education in any of the following fields: Economics, Finance and Banking, Business Management, Development Studies or other Finance related fields
- Proven experience in community development work with at least 2 years’ experience in social entrepreneurship in general and financial inclusion in particular, preferably working with refugees and refugee-hosting communities.
- Hands on experience in cash-based interventions and private sector engagement will be an added advantage.
- A working knowledge of Turkana or West Pokot Counties or pastoral & agro-pastoralist settings is an added advantage.
- Proven project cycle management and monitoring & evaluation skills.
- Knowledge of the rights-based approach and the international standards for working with humanitarian response such as SPHERE, Code of Conduct & Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) is an added advantage.
- Proven technical skills and hands-on experience in digital learning contexts, teaching/facilitating adult learners and life skills development for the youth.
- Good interpersonal skills and a proven team player. Self-driven and results-oriented in challenging rural working environments.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter and CV (including e-mail address and telephone contacts of 3 work-related referees). Mark the e-mail “DCA-Project Officer – Financial Inclusion /Candidate’s surname” as your subject.
The deadline for applications is 30 March 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The position is initially for one year with a possibility of extension. DCA offers a salary package (salary, insurance and benefits) in accordance with experience and DCA Kenya HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
By applying for any job in DCA you accept to comply with our policies for prevention of sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment as well as child protection.
For more information on DCA, please visit www.danchurchaid.org.