Role Profile: IT Helpdesk Technician – Kenya
CABI (www.cabi.org) is a not-for-profit development-led organization supported by a solid scientific research base and a world class publishing service. Our mission is to improve people’s lives worldwide by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment. Our work increases food security and protects biodiversity.
We have over 350 staff based in 16 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Ghana, India, Kenya, Malaysia, Pakistan, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, the UK, USA and Zambia.
CABI is an intergovernmental organization that can trace its origins back to 1910. Our mission and direction are influenced by government representatives from our 46 member countries who help guide the activities we undertake. These include scientific publishing, development projects and research, and microbial services. We are also leading a major new initiative, Plantwise, which aims to improve food security and the lives of the rural poor by reducing crop losses.
We produce key scientific publications, including CAB Abstracts – the world-leading database covering agriculture and environment and Global Health – the definitive bibliographic database for public health information. We also publish multimedia compendia, books, ebooks and full text electronic resources aiming to further science and its application to real life. Behind each of our products is a team of subject specialists committed to delivering the most relevant and authoritative information to researchers worldwide.
Development projects and research
Our staff research and find solutions to agricultural and environmental problems. We use science, information and communication tools to help solve issues of global concern.
Our work is arranged around four core themes:
- Commodities – we work to enable smallholder commodity farmers to compete in global markets. We diagnose and control plant pests and diseases, and help farmers get a better price for their crops. We work on crops such as coffee, cocoa, wheat, rice and cotton.
- Invasive species – we are helping to reduce the spread and impact of invasive weeds such as Japanese Knotweed, water hyacinth and insects such as coffee berry borer and cocoa pod borer. We also advise countries at a policy level about agriculture, trade and the environment.
- Knowledge for development – we work with farmers, extension workers, researchers and governments to deliver agricultural knowledge and develop communication strategies and systems.
- Knowledge management – we use information and communication technologies to provide farmers, researchers and policy makers with the information they need to make informed decisions and to lift people out of poverty.
We manage one of the world’s largest genetic resource collections, the UK’s National Collection of Fungus Cultures. We conduct microbiological identifications; provide cultures for sale, and offer
preservation and consultancy services. We are also screening our collection, looking for natural products such as antibiotics, vitamins and enzymes.
Plantwise aims to increase food security by providing knowledge. It helps poor farmers in developing countries improve their livelihoods by losing less of what they grow to plant health problems. This will be achieved through expansion of the plant clinic network which CABI has already begun to establish, supported by the creation of a global knowledge bank of information on plant health, pests and diseases. Plantwise will be a global programme, comprising an integrated set of projects and activities.
Job title: IT Helpdesk Technician
Grade: Hay Band 3
Reporting to: ICT Manager, Kenya
Key peer group: IT Teams, Admin Team
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Purpose of the role
The role is to provide 1st and 2nd line help and support for over 70 office based and remote staff spanning 5 different locations (Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Zambia, Ethiopia & Rwanda).
This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all user hardware and equipment to ensure optimal performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, e-mail or remote support tool) in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user training where required.
The candidate should be committed to customer care and providing quality service and supporting internal customers using existing skills gained from on the job experience.
- Troubleshooting all IT issues in a timely manner, ensuring all IT helpdesk requests are logged using helpdesk software;
- Support of printers, mobile devices, telephony and hardware;
- Assist in image deployment using crucible deployment tool;
- Setting up video conference meetings and assisting participants in meetings;
- Support Active Directory configuration (user account creation, password resets and security groups as per the policy guidelines);
- Completing internal user moves;
- Ensure licensing compliance for all software purchased and recorded as per procedures;
- Assisting with implementation of IT projects when required;
- Providing assistance to System Engineers as required;
- Liaising with Procurement to ensure adequate stock of consumables are maintained;
- Configuration of and facilitation of printing, telephony and other recoveries
- Carrying out research into more effective ways of using and configuring applications, keep up-to-date with changes and advancements in ICT and make suggestions for improvements to the services provided.
You will have an enthusiastic personality with a flexible attitude and must be able to demonstrate a real passion for IT. You will be a well organised and flexible individual with strong communication and customer relationship skills and be excellent at problem solving.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualification in a related discipline;
- Microsoft Certifications – MTA, MCSA, CCNA etc.;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Project, Visio and Operating Systems;
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and Network troubleshooting skills;
- User account administration with windows and Azure Active Directory;
- Experience in the building of end user PCs and laptops;
- Excellent communication and organisational skills;
- Hands-on experience of working in a technical support environment.
- Knowledge of SharePoint online administration;
- Previous experience in Avaya and IP telephony infrastructure;
- Previous experience in Office 365 and Office 2019 administration;
- Knowledge of Mac OSX troubleshooting;
- Knowledge in Linux and database systems desirable;
- Experience of setting up and maintaining Windows Servers (2008 – 2012 R2).
- Ability to recognise sensitive information and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times;
- Must have a passion for delivering excellent customer service;
- Must have the ability to show initiative and proactively solve potential problems before they arise;
- Have an enthusiastic, positive and flexible attitude with a ‘can do’ approach;
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team is essential;
- Must have the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with users at all levels;
- Must be flexible enough to provide out of hours support when required.
- A team player
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive. It is expected that the post holder and CABI will adopt a flexible attitude and accept that the duties may have to be varied according to circumstances, in particular changing corporate requirements and individual development needs.
CABI is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No applicant will be disadvantaged by conditions which cannot be shown to be justified and selection will be based on merit.
By taking the CABI Equal Opportunities Survey you will be helping us to follow best practice recommendations that employers should monitor selection decisions to assess whether equality of opportunity is being achieved. Please follow THIS LINK to take the survey. (If the link does not work please cut and paste the following URL into your web browser http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CABI_Equal_Opportunities_Survey)
The information in the survey will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only, forming no part of the selection process.
This information will be received separately from your application.
How to Apply
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter via our online recruitment portal at www.cabi.org/careers
Please note that the closing date for the receipt of applications is midnight (UK, BST) Friday March 22, 2019.