SHOFCO is a Kenyan registered Charity Organization with its Headquarters in Gatwekera – Kibera and other offices in New York, Mathare Slum, Mukuru Slum and Bangladesh with a plan to move to other slums in Kenya with a VISION of “Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty”.
It is a grassroots movement that catalyzes large-scale transformation in urban slums by providing critical services for all, community advocacy platforms, and education and leadership development for women and girls.
The following is the open position that we seek to fill:
Job Title: Teacher of Music
Section: Essential Services
Department: Girls Learning & Education
Location / Work Station: Kibera
Working Hours: Monday – Friday | 7.30 AM – 4.30PM
Reports to: Head Teacher
Direct reports: N/A
Job Purpose: To be responsible for creating a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favourable to learning and personal growth; this is aimed at ultimately developing a generation of strong, ethical, community centred female leaders of tomorrow.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Teach both theory and practical music to students.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Create and use variety of instruction strategies,
- Translate lesson plans into learning experiences.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluate students’ academic and social growth.
- Prepare progress reports and keep records.
- Communicate with parents on students’ progress.
- Interpret the school program.
- Coordinate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Create an effective environment for learning.
- Select and requisition books and instructional aids.
- Maintain required inventory records.
- Supervise students in and out-of-classroom activities during the school day.
- Administer group standardized tests in accordance with school and national testing program.
- Participate in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participate in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities. Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills). Academic
- Bachelor Degree or Diploma in Education with music Major or P1 with strong music teaching experience Professional Qualifications
- Any music professional experience e.g ABRSM Other requirements (unique/job specific)
- At least three years of music teaching experience ? Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers
- Should have composed and presented music items up to National level Functional Skills: Behavioural Competencies/Attributes:
- Articulating information
- Adopting practical approaches
- Providing insights
- Taking action
- Establishing rapport
- Valuing individuals
- Inviting feedback
- Understanding people
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager, email@example.com or drop their hard copies at our Head Office in Kibera, Gatwekera.
Applications without this information will not be considered.
DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: SHOFCO does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We therefore advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.