Program Officer Job at the International Development Law Organization
Type of Contract: Single Engagement Agreement
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. Its programs, research and policy advocacy cover the spectrum of rule of law from peace and institution building to social development and economic recovery in countries emerging from conflict and striving towards democracy. IDLO has its headquarters in Rome, Italy and is pleased to count Kenya among its Member States. IDLO Kenya provided assistance to the Committee of Experts in Constitutional Review during the process to design the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and subsequently to the Commission of the Implementation of the Constitution (CIC) in constitutional implementation monitoring and oversight.
- Coordinate and support to National Legal Aid Services in their programmatic activities.
- Coordinate the design, planning, implementation and reporting on NLAS Programmatic Interventions, under the supervision of the Director.
- Ensure accountable, efficient, effective and consultative approach in the operations of NLAS.
- Initiate discussions on improvements in the access to justice and the quality of service delivery by all actors offering Legal Aid service.
- Provides technical support in the operations of the National Legal Aid Service, including data, records and information management.
- Develop and Review internal and external reports, budgets, work plans proposals and recommendations for the National Legal Aid Service Board.
- Coordinate knowledge management and dissemination to stakeholders and beneficiaries on NLAS services.
- Develop, recommend and implement strategic objectives, guidelines, policies, and procedures for the National Legal Aid Service.
- Provide strategic responses to sector-wide inquires on the National Legal Aid Service.
- Assist in development of IEC materials on Legal Aid for the general public;
- Any other necessary task related to fulfilling the objectives of the NLAS and its Board
The Programme Officer shall, at all times:
- Perform tasks as assigned efficiently and with utmost professionalism.
- Observe strict confidentiality in the handling of NLAS’s internal confidential documents/equipment.
- Maintain a high standard in the quality of activities, outputs and outcomes from NLAS’s work.
- Adhere to the standards, guidelines and timelines as detailed in the Terms of Reference and to that end, s/he will sign a performance contract with the NLAS Board.
The Program Officer shall deliver the following outputs in line with the duties and responsibilities outlined above:
- An Inception Report detailing the understanding of the terms of reference and a proposed plan of action, with a work plan reflecting clear milestones and timelines.
- Deliverables from the programmatic interventions of NLAS as assigned.
- Monthly reports adhering to IDLO’s reporting template; documenting support provided to the NLAS; the key results realized and the expected deliverables for the subsequent month, to be submitted by 25th of every month.
- Any other deliverables as agreed including concepts, proposals and reports relating to the ToRs.
- Final comprehensive report documenting all support provided to the NLAS within the contractual period in furtherance of the ToRs, capturing key results realized, pending work, challenges faced and recommendations to the NLAS and IDLO.
Reporting and Supervision
The Program Officer will report directly to the Director of NLAS and monthly to the Programme Advisor, Access to Justice Programme at IDLO Kenya. Such reporting may be delegated as agreed upon by both the NLAS and IDLO Kenya.
Estimated Timeframe And Consultancy Fees
The assignment is on a full-time basis and will be undertaken for 6 months, from January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019, with a possibility of renewal based on availability of funding and performance review. Kindly note that this assignment is output based, and at times the flexibility of scheduling, availability, etc. might be required to ensure completion of work during time frame.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Law and admitted to the Roll of Advocates. A Master’s degree in Law or related field will be an added advantage
- At least 2 – 5 years professional experience in programme coordination and management of multiple projects on policy, legal and institutional reforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of the social, political and economic context in Kenya including Constitution and justice sector reforms.
- Demonstrated legal research, analysis, writing and presentation skills in English language.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, flexibility and ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment and under strict timelines.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution including integrity, impartiality, confidentiality and work ethic.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and within a team to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and deliver on targets as assigned.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- High levels of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and other computer applications.
How To Apply
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website http://www.idlo.org/jobspc and submit the completed IDLO Personal History Form (PHF), resume and cover letter. IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
Disclaimer And Closing Date
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline is 14th December 2018