Principal ICT Officer Job at Export Processing Zone Authority
Grade: EPZA 5
Ministry /Corporation: Export Processing Zone – Authority
Directorate: Research, Strategy and Compliance
Department: Resource Mobilization and ICT
Section / Unit: ICT
Location / Workstation:
EPZA Head office
Reports to: Assistant Manager, ICT
Direct reports: Senior ICT Officer
Indirect reports: ICT Officers
The jobholder is responsible for implementing the approved departmental workplans, policies, processes and procedures to support business objectives; The holder will be responsible for Security, databases and infrastructure.
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Execute approved section’s work plans and budgets
- Assist in the Preparation and submission all monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the department
- Assist in the Identification of training needs for the departmental staff
- Participate in the development and review of the ICT strategy
- Mentor and coach departmental staff
- Participate as an alternate member to the ICT manager in various committees in the Institution
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Manage the network infrastructure from a design, implementation, planning, and installation and support point of view.
- Monitor the utilization of the network systems and forecast and advice on capacity changes; reporting status to management. Identifying problems and bringing them to the Manager’s attention with sufficient lead-time to avert crises
- Undertake on-going maintenance (housekeeping, health checks etc.) and maintain Technical Documentation for the systems, user manuals, license agreements, and documentation of modifications and upgrades
- Plan, implement, verify and troubleshoot local and wide-area enterprise networks and work focusing on advanced security, voice and wireless solutions.
- Plan, implement, verify and troubleshoot local and wide-area enterprise networks and work focusing on advanced security, voice, PABX’s and wireless solutions.
- Facilitate the availability of hardware and software relating to servers, storage, network and communication systems for optimal performance and work towards minimal downtime of infrastructure;
- Develop policies on LAN/WAN availability, utilization and monitoring, and update departmental policies and procedures on network management;
- Liaise with the ICT Manager in identifying and prioritizing institutional infrastructure needs, develop cost/benefit analysis and capacity plans and collaborate with other functions in determining departmental specific needs;
- Carry out regular audits and tests of the network infrastructure and apply necessary corrective measures.
- Facilitate automation of all EPZA’s network and infrastructure to improve interoffice communication;
- Establish a strong working relationship with external suppliers in order to enhance productivity and manage costs, through negotiations and systems error escalations.
- Formulate and implement information security strategies; directing system control development and access management, monitoring, control, and evaluation.
- Implement effective and efficient security measures that ensure network, systems and data security and recovery from internal and external security threats. These include network EPZA data access policies and restrictions
- Assess the Authority’s information security measures, such as Unified Threat Management Devices, firewalls, anti-virus software and passwords, to identify any weak points that might make information systems vulnerable to attack.
- Carry out simulated attacks to test the efficiency of EPZA’s security measures and prioritize security coverage to ensure that strategically important data, such as member registration information, receives the highest levels of protection.
- Provide training for EPZA employees, explaining security risks and demonstrating good practices, such as using strong passwords and protecting data when they use mobile devices outside the office.
- Set up procedures and automated processes to monitor the status of computers and networks to detect unusual patterns of behaviour and respond as necessary
- Analyse reports generated by the monitoring system to identify trends that might indicate a future risk;
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on the security levels of EPZA information
- Establishes system safeguards by directing disaster preparedness development; conducting preparedness tests
- Advice the ICT Manager on critical security issues; recommending risk reduction solutions
- Participate in the preparation of budgets
Responsibility for Physical Assets
- Responsible for physical assets assigned by the institution;
- Makes strategic, operational and financial decisions for the section
- Plans the work of subordinates
- Assigns work to subordinates
- Monitors subordinates work performance
- Work predominantly within the office
- Masters Degree in Business Information Technology, Computer Science or related field from a recognized Institution;
- Bachelors degree in Business Information Technology or Computer Science or a related field from a recognized Institution;
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Have attended Management Course lasting not less than 2 weeks from a recognized Institution ;
- Memberships to a relevant professional body;
- Relevant IT Certification and
- Meets the provision of Chapter six of the Constitution.
Previous relevant work experience required
- Have Six (6) years’ experience and served as Senior ICT Officer or similar position in the Public Service or reputable organization for three (3) years
- ICT proficiency Good communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to details
Minimum basic Salary Kshs 73,136.00 Maximum basic salary Kshs 154,500.00
Total allowances 60,400.00
Successful candidate will enter the scale at basic salary of Kshs 73,136.00
How To Apply
Candidates interested in these positions are expected to fulfil the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya. Specifically, those applying for positions listed above must obtain and submit with their application, recent copies of the following;
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations.
- Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from the Ethics & Anti-corruption Authority (EACC)
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Suitably qualified candidates should apply in confidence using the Job Application Form indicating the Job Reference Number on the Job Application Form and send to email@example.com attaching copies of certificates, relevant testimonial, National ID and requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
All applications should be sent online in pdf format and should be received not later than 23rd December, 2018 at midnight East Africa Time.
Export Processing Zones Authority is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.