Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan Farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 8,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
Sanergy seeks a procurement intern to be responsible for providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of all offices. You will support senior management team, employees through a variety of tasks related to the organization and communication. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team tackling unanswered questions in the sanitation/development space.
Job Purpose Statement: The Procurement Intern is responsible for assisting the procurement Partners in addressing all procurement needs in their respective teams and collaborating with all relevant stakeholders.
A typical day for you might include the following.
- Act as advisory to clients who are facing challenges before, during and after a purchasing process.
- Review purchasing requests to ensure compliance with Company’s purchasing guidelines and agreed rates/prices for goods/services/works with vendors.
- Escalate procurement requests that are not in compliant.
- Convert approved procurement requests to purchase orders, follow up the purchase orders for approval, and notify vendor once purchase orders are complete.
- Create electronic payment requests, follow up on payments, and send notifications to vendors when payments are scheduled to be sent
- Responsible for ensuring purchase orders are executed on time or communicating to users that timelines won’t be hit
- Ensure that all relevant documents are availed to accounting within the agreed time and payment processing to be done within the recommended time frames.
- Planning and execution of timely collections and delivery of items from the various vendors. This includes contacting vendors in order to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
- Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations.
- High levels of collaboration with Quality Health Safety and environment partners for quality standards, with warehouse, to avoid stock-outs and understand the usage of items and accounting for purposes of timely vendor prepayments and payments and accurate documentation before and after payment is done.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- A minimum of Degree in Business Administration or Procurement
- Minimum of 1 year experience in doing Procurement in a busy firm.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and maintain tempo
- Ability to interact with various caliber of people.
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism.
- Proactive, able to multi-task, prioritize work, meet deadlines & works effectively under pressure with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated initiative in developing solutions to meet complex administrative/technical needs of a work group. Should have very strong organizational skills.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
Clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV and cover letter by 30th November, 2018.
While the 2017 Sanergy interns are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation