Driver Job at Concern Worldwide
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Reports to: Manager (Moyale) for day to day administrative matters and technically to the Senior Officer Logistics (Marsabit)
Job Location: Moyale with possibility for deployment to any other office locations in Marsabit County
The driver will drive Concern Worldwide vehicles as directed by the Senior Officer Transport & Logistics or staff managing the field station and to make sure that all the passengers are safe during the journey. He/she is also responsible for reporting any immediate difficulties with the vehicles and arranging for servicing
- Adhere to best practice procedures (Concern fleet SOPs) for operating the fleet with specific attention to pre-driving checks (fuel, lubricants and water), and operating the vehicle in a way to maximize its operating lifespan and to the highest safety & security standards.
- Be able to operate all functions of a 4X4 vehicle and report to the Senior Driver all technical faults in the car by filling a daily and weekly vehicle check list.
- Responsible for making daily recommendations regarding vehicles functionality in relation to health and safety of passengers and goods in the car. To inform the Logistician & field office manager of any incidents immediately.
- Ensure effective service record keeping, that is, update mileage and maintenance records promptly and accurately on the Log Sheets. This includes recording every trip on ODK.
- Maintenance of the radio communication equipment / satellite phone in the car and ensure they function all the time.
- Load and offload items into and from vehicles.
- When transporting goods, the driver is responsible for submitting delivery notes and/or reports and to confirm the status and quantity of goods with the recipient.
- Ensure that he/she carries only authorised passengers or materials.
- Ensure that safety belts are in good working condition and that all passengers including him/her fasten their seat belts before embarking on the journey.
- Adhere to all the country traffic rules, regulations and speed limits
- Ensure the vehicle is clean at all times.
- Liaise as necessary with the base office for security updates and taking necessary measures to minimise exposure to threats. The driver must put the safety of passengers and him/herself first at all times.
- Any other official duties assigned by the line manager.
- Responding to Emergencies:
- Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
- Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
- Programme Participant Protection Policy
- To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct.
- Minimum O Level Certificate
- Driving license Class BCE and minimum five (5) years’ driving experience. Motor bike riding license is an added advantage
- Relevant basic qualifications or related extensive experience in mechanical fault diagnosis and repairs preferably in Land Cruisers
- A certificate of good conduct
- Three (3) years accident-free experience
- Minimum age: Twenty One (21) years
- Excellent physical and health condition
- A person of high integrity
- Good spoken language in English and Kiswahili. Ability to speak one or more of the local languages an added advantage
- Experience in working in operations in remote locations especially with NGO preferable. Must be familiar with the geographical location of the programme area/Excellent road knowledge
- Team player, flexible and ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Practical driving skills and knowledge of 4×4 driving
- To pass the standard Concern Driver’s Test
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit the following for consideration for this position;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter
- Copy of National ID
- Copy of Valid Driving License Class BCE
- Certificate of Good Conduct
Soft copy applications must be sent to email@example.com with the subject of the email as ‘Driver – Moyale’
Hard copy applications in a sealed envelope marked Driver – Moyale & addressed to the HR & Administration Coordinator, Concern Worldwide, can be dropped at the Concern Worldwide Offices in Moyale or Marsabit Town.
Each application should include three (3) referees who can validate technical expertise and telephone contacts.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 2nd December 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.