Livelihoods Assistant Kenyan Job at Danish Refugee Council
DRC began operating in Kenya in 2005 with assistance to refugees and displacement-affected communities via implementation of protection and livelihoods activities. DRC works in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, as well as in Nairobi and Mombasa to assist urban-based refugees, and in Mandera County implementing a 3 year cross-border resilience programme. DRC is the lead agency in a consortium of 4 agencies implementing the project in Mandera County of Kenya, Dollo Ado Region of Ethiopia and Gedo Region of Somalia. The project began in December 2017, and DRC Kenya is recruiting a new team to implement key Livelihoods activities across Mandera County.
About The Job
DRC is looking for a qualified individual with experience in Livelihoods programming in Mandera, working under the Livelihoods Officer responsible for activities in Village Savings and Loans (VSLA) and other formal and informal financial support, with a strong understanding of market systems. The project aims to link with cross-border markets in Dollo-Ado region of Ethiopia and Gedo region of Somalia, and to specifically target women and youth (male and female). Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly Encouraged.
Main Duties And Responsibilities:
Programme Management, Development, Monitoring And Evaluation
- Identification of community members to benefit from VSLA and other formal/informal financial support activities as outlined in project documents, and ensure relevant monitoring is done throughout the project.
- Develop relevant training manuals and practices for target beneficiaries and lead in facilitating training
- Ensure all VSLA beneficiaries are properly mentored and supported throughout the project.
- Ensure that all project documentation is in place.
- Participate in periodic project review and planning meetings; and external meetings as often as requested by the Livelihoods Manager.
- Ensure project staff adhere to CHS Principles in day to day project implementation; participate in CHS audits; support in implementing the M&E plan.
- Assist in developing livelihoods concept notes and proposals.
- Coordinate field reporting: prepare technical internal and external reports.
Coordination & Partnership
- Support the consortium members and DRC Kenya Livelihoods Manager to ensure effective liaison with stake holders and relevant Government of Kenya departments, from the location to divisional levels, as needed.
- Promote collaboration and synergy between DRC, DDG, BORESHA consortium members, EUTF Lot 1 partners, local authorities, local communities and other agency interventions.
- Draft spending plans, procurement plans, and work plans based on activities and budgets.
- Liaise closely with Finance colleagues in the management of the livelihood activity budgets.
- Fluency in Somali is essential.
- Must have a degree in Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics, Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, or other livelihoods related disciplines and/or a minimum 2 years’ experience setting up and implementing livelihoods or income generating projects preferably with an NGO. Experience in Mandera County is strongly preferred.
- Proven understanding of microenterprise / small business development and VSLA / Groups Savings and Loan approaches.
- Skills or training in basic book keeping or financial literacy is desirable
- Prior experience working with local governments and stakeholders in implementation of projects, including hands-on community mobilization skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other relevant computer applications,
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise. Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem solving capabilities.
- Strong self-starter, able to take the initiative and pro-active in identifying gaps and solutions to respond to needs.
DRC Core Competencies
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
Location : Mandera
Contract Duration: 12 months
Reports to: Livelihoods Officer (MED, VSLA, VCD), Mandera
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as Core Humanitarian Standards
Due to security reasons DRC can only accept applications from qualified candidates who are able to travel freely around key project sites in Mandera County. This position is a national, localized position based in Mandera Town with frequent travel. Mandera lies at Safety Level System 3 in the DRC Kenya security system. Accommodation is not provided by DRC and this position does not attract Rest and Relaxation (R&R).
How To Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications should be sent no later than: 7th April, 2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.