Dean of Residential Life Job at Nova Academies
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country. This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
About Nova Academies
One year ago we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. In 2016 we will be operating three schools—two in South Africa and one in Kenya—and gearing up for rapid growth. Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
You will also:
- Develop and manage a highly engaging and rigorous schedule of student activities outside of the classroom, including sports and clubs;
- Build and manage a strong team focused on student’s non-academic experience and development, including resident teachers, matron(s), and others. Develop a strong system to ensure student activity is monitored and supported at all times;
- Develop and oversee a robust student counselling program to support strong emotional development;
- Run an exceptional sports program for students, including directly coaching sports team(s);
- Oversee strong student discipline and behavior within the residential experience such as evenings and weekends;
- Build a rich spiritual experience for students through leading partnerships with churches and other spiritual partners;
- Develop and execute off-campus activities that will enrich student development, including sports and club competitions and other exchanges with partner schools and organizations;
- Build strong programs for student health and wellness, including health services on and off campus;
- Play a central role in building and sustaining an exceptional student and staff culture as a member of the school’s management team;
- You will be provided with lodging on the campus and will be expected to be present on campus many nights and weekends.
- You love working with teenagers and have previously engaged with teen and youth programmes to help them develop holistically;
- Experience with youth development in various settings such as sports coaching, mentoring/counseling, and/or teaching;
- Previous experience in a boarding school is a plus but not required;
- You are an exceptional with Nova’s culture, bringing energy, positivity and humility to your work and constantly looking to improve yourself;
- You possess a Bachelor of Education degree or o degree in social sciences
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Significant experience in managing people as you will be leading a team
- Proven record of success in high-intensity work environments
- An awareness, understanding, and experience of issues relating to safeguarding the health, welfare, and safety of children
How to Apply
Does working at Nova Academies excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews. If you do not hear from us within 8 weeks of submitting your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.