IPA Field Manager Job in Nairobi Kenya – Oct 2017
Oct 2017 IPA Field Manager jobs recruitment
employment position for IPA Field Manager Oct 2017
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Field Manager – Evaluation of Low Cost Schools Project.
Reporting To: Research Associate
Start Date: 16th October, 2017
Duration: 2 Months
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: Evaluation of Low Cost Schools project will compare learning outcomes in low cost private schools relative to other available options in the vicinity.
There is tremendous growth and innovation in the low cost private school market and this project aims to use a randomized controlled trial to better understand the effectiveness of such schools relative to public school options.
The Principal Investigators for this project are Anthony Keats (Wesleyan University), Michael Kremer (Harvard University) Isaac Mbiti (University of Virginia) and Owen Ozier (World Bank).
About the Position: The Field Manager under the general supervision of the Research Associate and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures, coordinates the facilitation of field and office activities and functions within IPAK.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Field Manager, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Research Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project management based in Nairobi with frequent travel to other counties in Central, Eastern and Coastal Kenya with main roles being field team management, data quality management and oversight of field logistics.
- Data quality management including conducting back checks, undertaking sit-ins and spot checks and assisting with high frequency checks and back check analysis.
- Human resource management which includes staff hiring, staff performance planning and evaluation, assisting with staff development and training, drafting job descriptions for field staff, monitoring staff attendance and updating attendance records including leave forms, processing contract renewals and termination, and enforcing all human resource policies and procedures in coordination with IPAK’s Human Resources Manager and the RA. The FM will directly supervise the Associate Field Managers in the regions assigned.
- Operations management which includes taking and updating inventory of all project items, participating in general procurement and logistics for the project and liaising with the operations department as necessary
- Financial management which includes working with IPAK financial staff to keep detailed accounts of all project activities and to monitor project expenses particularly imprest for the field teams.
- Public relations which includes building and maintaining relationships with county administrators and community officials as well as representing the project and IPA-K at conferences and stakeholder meetings in coordination with the RA.
- Assisting the RA in planning field activities and ensuring the activities are executed within planned timelines and updating the RA on the general progress of project activities.
- Supervising the field team and successfully working with the team as a member, as well as serving as an example to other team members
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Social Sciences, Education, Economics, Statistics, Business or equivalent qualifications.
- At least two years of field management experience preferably with IPA-Kenya. Extensive experience supervising, designing and implementing data collection and/or field work activities, and managing teams of enumerators is required.
- Previous experience working with caregivers and children and have the ability to handle and speak with people from diverse cultural back grounds.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) with knowledge in STATA and Survey CTO programming.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision. Ability to work independently and as a part of the team with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent Oral and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Flexibility in travelling and work assignments.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Manager- Evaluation of Low Cost Schools Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.