Norwegian Refugee Council
Monitoring and Evaluation Intern – Region Horn of Africa
Ref. nr.: 3258490261
Job location: Nairobi
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The M&E Intern will assist in data collection, cleaning data, lay-out & design templates and infographics for new publications and products in line with NRC and humanitarian graphic guidelines & best practises
- Maintain and further develop the graphic guidelines, in line with overall NRC guidelines (implementation and modification if needed)
- Lay?out and design Quarterly and Mid-year presentations and reports for the Region and Country Offices as needed
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, web and interactive presentations
- Support and lead the design process of reports and presentations for printing, electronic distribution and in-person delivery
- Maintain templates (AI, Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.) and give technical support for their use
- Improve and edit art?works, photos, charts and other graphic elements (such as Excel & AI)
- Assist in establishing and be responsible for maintaining a products and photo archive
- Create animations in PowerPoint and/or Flash for illustrative purposes such as animation of maps and more advanced solutions
- Deliver creative graphic and technical solutions for use of new media
- Maintain a client?oriented approach that ensures high?quality graphic design services and products
- Assist with developing web interface and design for Regional NRC website and other interactive products in close collaboration with the Protection & Advocacy Unit
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and returnees in line with the regional strategy
- Any other tasks requested by the Supervisor
- Bachelor degree in one of the following fields: Graphic Design, Media and communication, Fine Arts or a related field.
- Experience in data Management and visualization (analysis, graphical presentation and reporting)
- Preferred experience working with statistical soft-wares (SPSS, Excel, Epi-Info)
- Some Adobe Illustrator knowledge is a MUST for this post
- Practical background in graphic design and knowledge of design software such Adobe Creative Suite packages and web design tools
- Basic understanding of web development (HTML, Java script, etc.) technologies and GIS is preferred
- Experience in graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and color management
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms
- Knowledge of standard software packages (Excel/Access, Visio, etc.)
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-moving environment
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous on-job learning
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping with change
- Working with people
- Handling insecure environments
Duty station: Nairobi
Contract period: 6 Months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Monitoring and Evaluation
- Role: Assistant
How to Apply
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online
Deadline for application: 30/11/2016