Job Advert: Project Officer
Program Summary: Pact’s mission is to build empowered communities, effective governments and responsible organizations that give people an opportunity for a better life.
We do this by strengthening the capacity of organizations and institutions to be good service providers, represent their stakeholders, network with others for learning and knowledge sharing, and advocate for social, economic and environmental justice.
Interdependence, responsible stewardship, inclusion of vulnerable groups, and respect for local ownership and knowledge are core values across all of our programs.
Pact Kenya Conflict Management and Mitigation (CMM) program work is along the Somali border lines with Kenya.
This program works to transform the sporadic conflicts among communities living along the border regions of Somalia and Kenya.
General Position Summary: Pact Kenya is looking to recruit a Program Officer for a prospective Conflict Management and Mitigation (CMM) program.
The Program Officer will work closely with the Nairobi based Program Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation officer, Grants team and other team members including local partners to ensure the program is effectively implemented to achieve expected results.
This position will also work with the Garissa based operational team in ensuring program activities are well supported and coordinated.
This is a Garissa based position with frequent field travels to communities and local partners based along the border areas inside Somalia.
Essential Job Functions:
- Be the pivot point for field program implementation for Pact CMM program in line with the expected program goals, in order to help integrate and operationalize conflict management activities along the border lines of Somalia.
- Provide high-quality field technical support to local partners programming through hands-on guidance and support grounded in the program’s strategic objectives and adhering to expected technical quality and reporting requirements.
- At the field level, engage on behalf of the program with field stakeholders like the government and other peace actors in the region.
- Provide field training and mentoring to partners to strengthen capacity for technical service delivery and compliance with donor rules and regulations
- Represent Pact in all CMM Program field based activities.
- Provide any other support as required by the CMM program Manager based in Nairobi
Knowledge and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Conflict studies, Peace building, International Development, International Relations or related field.
- Demonstrated more than 5 years professional experience with a domestic or international USAID funded non-profit organization working with Somali communities, preferably in the area of conflict management, work planning, budgeting and reporting.
- Demonstrate good understanding of Somali border conflict dynamics.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good mediation and reconciliatory skills
The right candidate needs to demonstrate a good track record in conflict transformation, do-no-harm principles, relevant experience with Somali community work and dynamics, and a team player.
S/he will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities and work under strict deadlines within a complex team with an awareness and sensitivity to international development issues and diverse cultures.
Willingness to take initiative and contribute to team efforts, strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and an ability to understand and resolve complex issues.
Equally important will be commitment to the values and mission of Pact.
Candidates meeting the above qualifications and skills are encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter (with salary expectations) and CV with three professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th October, 2016.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.