Micronutrient Initiative Senior Program Officer Job in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania October 2016
Jobs recruitment : Senior Program Officer Vacancy in Dar es Salaam 2016
Career Opening : Micronutrient Initiative Employment in Tanzania Oct 2016
Vacancy: Senior Program Officer, Tanzania
Governed by an international Board of Directors, MI works in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and Latin America and reaches 500 million people in 70 countries.
2. Overall Purpose/Broad Function: In line with MI’s strategic objectives in Africa, and, in partnership with key stakeholders in Tanzania, to arrange and provide appropriate technical and other assistance to the Government of Tanzania and/or other stakeholders to help them provide, on a sustainable basis, improved child, adolescent and women’s health and nutrition services, particularly those at most risk, within which appropriate micronutrient interventions are integrated and achieve sustained high coverage and utilization.
- Support the Country Director to ensure that the landscape analysis for child adolescent and women health and nutrition and fortification programs are regularly updated and available.
- Support Country Director with information necessary for designing of country plans and proposals.
- Develop annual work plans and budgets for country projects.
- Ensure that work plan activities are implemented as scheduled and per the approved budgets.
- Carry out site monitoring visits to ensure that implementing partners are implementing project activities according to agreed strategy and contractual commitments.
- Ensure data monitoring plans are timely implemented, project monitoring data is collected, and the data workbooks are regularly updated.
- Develop quality monthly and quarterly and annual performance monitoring (both technical and financial) reports and ensure challenges are identified and recommended corrective actions are timely implemented.
- Draw up on internal MI expertise in Tanzania, the Regional, and Headquarter Offices as necessary to ensure projects are on track.
- Review and analyze technical and financial project reports from implementing partners and ensure that remedial actions are taken to ensure that project are on track.
- Input into the MI Contract Database all approved financial commitments and regularly update the Contracts Databases for the two interventions in line with MI contract management procedures.
- In support of both internal team work and partnership coordination committees, prepare documentation for meetings and conference calls, taking detailed notes on decisions and action points from such meetings and ensuring follow up of same.
- Support the implementing organization in procuring commodities, if needed.
- Build and maintain good collaborative relations with Ministry of Health, other government agencies, UN agencies, and NGOs, as appropriate to promote information sharing and effective coordination of effort to improve and sustain effective and efficient adolescent and women health and nutrition program.
- Represent MI at national and regional fora relevant the interventions implemented in the country.
- Keep up to date with developments in adolescent, maternal and child health and nutrition and micronutrient supplementation issues.
- In the event of additional funding opportunities arising for MI to carry out wok in country, support the Country Director and External Relations team at regional level with gathering of relevant information for proposal development.
- Document and share with the ER team field stories and lessons learned from projects.
- Participate in the design of research and evaluation activities and work closely with researchers and external evaluators to ensure research and evaluations exercises are feasible, responds to project and MoH needs and is disseminated in timely fashion.
- Support the dissemination of research and program evaluation findings in Tanzania and elsewhere with the view to inform available new information and improved practices.
- Supervise Program Assistant (PO7)
- At a minimum, a Masters degree from a recognized university in Public Health, Reproductive Health, Community Health or Nutrition.
- Training in epidemiology and research methodologies preferred.
- Post graduate certificate in project management will be added advantage
- At least 10 years’ experience working in adolescent, maternal and child health, public health and nutrition /or related field in Tanzania or the Sub Saharan Africa.
- At least 5 years of experience in supervising child and women health and nutrition programs.
- At least 5 years of experience in donor funded program/project implementation/supervision, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with micronutrient supplementation programs for adolescent, women and pregnant mothers desirable.
- Good spoken and written English
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Based in Dar es Salam ; around 25-30% of time will be spent travelling in Tanzania with occasional travel outside Tanzania.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Very good presentation skills
- Excellent team working skills