Saferworld Project Officer (Governance and Peacebuilding) NGO Job in Kenya September 2016
Recruitment Vacancy : Saferworld Project Officer Job in Kenya Sept 2016
Jobs description : Project Officer Vacancy
Description of Saferworld and Kenya programme:
Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security.
- Develop, implement and promote community-focused and integrated responses to the complex mix of security, conflict and governance challenges faced by the people of Kenya
- Strengthen the capacity of civil society to engage effectively on security, conflict prevention, peacebuilding and arms control issues
- Work closely with the Government of Kenya at various levels, where applicable, to develop the policies, regulatory frameworks and institutions required for effective conflict prevention, peacebuilding and arms control and the accountable and equitable delivery of security and justice services
- Support the development and application of regional and international responses to conflict and insecurity problems affecting Kenya
Job Purpose: The Project Officer is responsible for the implementation of governance and peacebuilding activities within the Kenya Programme.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Strategy and programme development
- Project planning, implementation and management
- Funding and financial management
- Partner management
- Networking, communication and advocacy
1: Strategic and Programme Development
- Assist in the development and implementation of Saferworld’s Kenya programme strategy
- Contribute to internal (within the team and across the organisation) discussions on thematic issues particularly on peace, security and governance
- Contribute to further develop, and deepen understanding of, Saferworld’s peacebuilding and governance thematic issues and approaches.
- Support planning, development and implementation of the peacebuilding and governance project
- Organise and facilitate dialogue meetings, workshops and forums with government representatives, civil society and communities in efforts to prevent violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to peace, security and governance
- Support partners to mainstream cross-cutting issues, among them, gender and youth in their initiatives
- Support capacity development of partners involved in project implementation through innovative capacity building approaches
- Arrange for regular meetings with partners to review and reflect on progress and results in order to identify, mitigate challenges and learn lessons for improved programme delivery
- Support to the M&E coordinator in assessing the extent to which partners’ initiatives are achieving the set results, writing and filing of reports
- Development of donor reports
- Participate in and contribute to quarterly and other scheduled programme performance review meetings
- Mentor and coach for partners through accompaniment and quarterly site visits
- Assist the Project Manager in planning and implementing the Peace and Development project
- Assist in identifying funding opportunities and fundraising
- With the programme team, perform organisational activities such as drafting project reports, developing programme budgets and cash flows and regularly monitoring expenditure
- Support the preparation of monthly expenditure requests and account for project expenditure in line with Saferworld’s financial procedures
- Support the Finance Officer in ensuring partners adhere to Saferworld’s financial policies and procedures
- Contribute to documentation of ‘success stories’ and other anecdotal information to demonstrate results/impact of initiatives undertaken by partners and enhance the overall quality of performance reports to all constituents
- Provide support in training and delivery of advocacy and peacebuilding for project partners and civil society organisations
- Contribute in developing appropriate strategies for advocacy with partners.
- Identify and develop relationships with key strategic partners in government, civil society, media and the international community for promoting peace, good governance and conflict sensitivity in Kenya
- Represent Saferworld at meetings, seminars, co-ordination forums and other events
- Degree in public administration and management; development studies; governance; international relations, or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience working on peace and/or governance issues with a good understanding of peace, governance and conflict sensitivity, and an active interest in the workings of civil society
- Demonstrable experience in project planning and implementation.
- Experience with proposal writing for technical programmes.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to implement programmmes and local partners to effectively meet programme needs.
- Ability to work effectively with governmental and non-governmental organisations and local communities in carrying out programme objectives
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral and ability to relate sensitively to diverse groups.
- Self-driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision
- Good report-writing and communications skills with excellent written and spoken English and Swahili.
- Ability to work in diverse situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and use of internet for research.
- Willingness to travel to diverse locations in support of project’s implementation and interact effectively with partners.
Remuneration: KES 2,632,702 gross per annum
Leave entitlement: 28 days holiday a year (Jan-Dec) in addition to relevant public holidays
Hours: Standard working week is 37.5.
To apply: Please complete an application form and send to Marie Aziz at email@example.com .