Position Title: Internal Controls Officer (Africa)
City: Nairobi (Note: can be based anywhere in Africa)
Pact Overview: At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of dignified living. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities.
Department Overview: Pact envisions a world where those who poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future.
The Pact Finance Department supports this mission by creating a work environment that celebrates diversity, fosters professional growth and development, ensures partnerships with international departments to: develop budgets, implement and manage financial control measures, establish policies and procedures and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and government and non-government requirements, and provides exceptional service to management and staff.
Position Purpose: Reporting to the Senior Risk Management Officer, the Internal Control Officer (anywhere in Africa) is responsible for managing and monitoring a risk-based internal compliance program to ensure effective utilization of resources.
- Reviews Country Office operations for internal controls and compliance with terms and conditions of donor requirements (including US Government awards) accounting standards and Pact policy
- Ensures internal control activities are in compliance with guidance provided by the Country Office and Headquarters
- Reviews and tests procedures and systems of internal controls at Pact and sub recipient organizations to ensure they are functioning as planned and in accordance with sound managerial principles
- Prepares written reports of review findings, including specific recommendations for corrective action, where appropriate
- Facilitates and monitors the implementation of corrective plans to aid country offices in improving compliance with procedures and processes
- Provides guidance to internal stakeholders regarding best internal control practices that minimize risk to the organization; works cooperatively with staff at HQ and in the Country Office to explain and improve processes and enhance internal controls and compliance
- Participates in formulating policies and procedures to improve internal controls, compliance and corporate efficiency
- Maintains and monitors Pact’s internal audit database
- Assists in the development and implementation of Pact’s Enterprise Risk Management program
- Creates audit updates, reports, and executive summaries to be presented to the audit committee and executive management
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field. Higher Degree a plus.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of audit experience
- Previous international experience, preferably with an international NGO
- Experience in financial management of US Government cooperative agreements, contracts and/or sub contracts desired, preferably USAID.
- Knowledge of OMB circulars and Federal Acquisition Regulations
- Experience developing working papers to perform tests of accounting records, internal controls, and accounting systems to ensure compliance with regulations, accounting principles, cost accounting standards, and contract/agreement provisions
- Willingness to travel 50-60% of the time
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Fluency in English
- Experience in federal government audit or corporate internal audit
- CPA/CIA certification
- Accreditation or certification in project management
- Experience with Serenic Navigator and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Knowledge of additional regional languages
- Knowledge of non-US donor requirements (DFID, Global Fund, SIDA, DANIDA) is a plus
CLICK HERE to apply online