Position: Field Officer (Re-advertised)
Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Start Date: 28th September 2015
Location: Homabay County
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project: Development assistance tends to focus on the ‘external’ constraints that poor people face, while largely ignoring ‘internal’ ones. However, social psychology suggests that poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and control may be beaten down by the nature of living in poverty, limiting the options they consider.
The project aims to do a randomized controlled trial to examine the combined effect of lifting external and internal constraints simultaneously, providing a cash transfer and an intervention to boost poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and alter their understanding of their opportunities, encouraging poor people to set and pursue their own goals without directing their choices.
The research will test if a brief, standardized psychological intervention can alter psychological outcomes and future-oriented behaviors in a developing country and examine if such interventions can enhance the already-known benefits of cash transfers.
Work duration: Successful applicants will initially be hired for one month on a casual basis. Those who demonstrate consistent exceptional abilities and performance may be considered for a longer term placement with the same project.
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Conduct phone surveys on a variety of enterprises ?
- Assist with data entry in the office
- Arrive at work on time
- Complete scheduled activities each day in a timely manner
- Demonstrate integrity and understanding during interaction with community members and partner organization staff
- On non-field days, perform office duties with care (for instance translation work, which will be taught as needed)
- Assist in daily survey organization and storage
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection
- Administer household surveys
- Provide the FM with daily feedback regarding surveying activities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Kiswahili and Luo.
- Experience with data collection through market surveys, household surveys, academic tests, exit interviews, focus groups or observations
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals within their homes and over the phone. ?
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (mandatory)
- Ability to comfortably work with groups and within groups
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma in social sciences, health and /or business administration?
- Past experience in data collection
- Experience in data collection using Survey CTO or Open Data Kit (ODK)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Note: The position has been re-advertised and we would advise all applicants who had applied during the initial advertising not to re-apply.
Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Field Officer” REF NO. Aspirations: 2015-09-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a Rolling Basis.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.