11 Job Positions at Transnet In South Africa 2014
Transnet National Ports Authority (NPA) has positions for permanent Marine Shorehands x11 vacancies, within the Berthing Services Department in Richards Bay. A marine shore hand is an entry level position in the commercial shipping industry, the work they do ensures the optimal operations and safety of ships arriving and departing at ports. (Reference Number: 10153118)
Make fast or let go the mooring ropes of vessels entering or leaving a berth, Determine the sequence of placement of mooring ropes on bollards, Act as crew on unmanned vessels, handle mooring lines on such vessels, Make up heaving lines as required (splicing and making up of monkey’s fist),Wash and clean official vehicle, Clean ablution block and surrounding area. Provide/ facilitate the provision of fresh water supply to vessels.
Qualifications & Experience :
- Grade 8 / ABET level 4
- Physically capable of performing duties of position and be willing to undergo test in this regard,
- Capable to work shifts including night shifts, weekends and public holidays (12 hours)
- Capable and willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Be prepared to undergo training and dry dock duties when required
- Grade 12 will be advantageous
- Medical fitness
- Knowledge of the safe and efficient handling of ship’s ropes when making fast or letting go. (Training provided).
- Knowledge of basic seamanship incl. knots and rope and wire splicing.
- Housekeeping standards
- Practically minded
- Hands on team working
- Literacy level sufficient to perform duties and undergo training on modular programme and to follow spoken and written
- Values – beacons and ISO objectives
- Safety conscious
- Service oriented
How to apply