Job at Wananchi Group for Senior Systems Engineer in Kenya 2014
Job Purpose / Summary: The Senior Systems Engineer, who is part of the Systems Engineering Team, will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of all Wananchi Group Systems.
Administration and maintenance of the network management systems for the core IP network, international and in-country fiber backbone links, metro Ethernet network, wimax network, HFC and GPON triple play network (cable TV/broadband/Voice), direct-to-home (DTH) satellite pay-TV as well datacenter facilities – generators, UPS, air-conditioning, access control etc
- Develop or adapt existing software for use in various systems and products within the business using java and other open-source scripting tools like UNIX/Linux shell scripting and php.
- Installation, configuration, customization and administer UNIX/Linux based e-Mail servers, DNS, Database servers, caching servers and network monitoring systems.
- Operations, maintenance, upgrades and administration of the subscriber management and billing systems; conditional access systems for HFC and DTH infrastructure; mail systems; monitoring systems; DNS systems; and authentication systems used to control access to various systems.
- Operations and maintenance of the back end provisioning systems for the Wimax, Voice and HFC network (Broadband Access Center and Digital Network Control System).
- Planning and implementation of systems upgrades to keep up with technological advancements/enhancements
- Building web applications for internal company use
- Responsible for ensuring backup systems are in place and working (includes design, implementation and testing of backup system and data integrity)
- Creation, operations and maintenance of monitoring systems, to ensure prompt and factual reporting of network and systems KPIs and metrics
- Systems capacity and licensing analysis, planning and growth to meet current and future demands
- Responsible for systems security and integrity
- Generation and analysis of reports from the various monitoring systems
- Documentation of the core video, data and voice infrastructure
- Development and documentation of Systems disaster recovery plan; process documentation and periodic testing per available system
- Detection of network and systems security breaches and prevention of their recurrence
- Proactive monitoring of network and systems vital parameters
- Research, development and implementation of new systems technologies
- Training on systems architecture and monitoring systems
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- 100% uptime on all systems within the Wananchi core production network.’
- Adherence to laid out processes and procedures.
- Delivery of projects within agreed timelines.
- Ensure that NOC is provided with relevant tools to timely monitor all systems
- Systems security reports are available and any breaches are identified and fixed permanently
- Documentation of the core vide, data and voice infrastructure is available
- Systems KPIs are met
- Meeting set schedules as per work plans
- Carrying out quarterly system audits, providing reports and implementation of recommendations within agreed timelines
- Readily accessible disaster recovery plans and testing as per schedules of all systems
- Regular training of NOC and customer services teams on their systems topic of interest
- Regular systems capacity and licenses reports, implementation of recommendations thereof
- BSC in Information Sciences /Computer Sciences
- 5 years experience in similar role
- Experience with various network system platforms and database management systems
Closing Date: 30th May 2014