Action Field Officer Job Vacancy at Innovations for Poverty in Busia Kenya 2013
Position: Field Officer
Deadline to Apply: August 14th, 2013
Start Date: September 2nd, 2013
Location: Busia County
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action:
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
The project is an innovative approach to evaluating rural electrification in Kenya and will examine the ability of individual rural households to connect to the national electric grid. Using living standards measurement surveys in the field, the study will collect data related to household energy use and the interactions between households and the national electricity grid.
As a result of these data, the study will be able to understand households’ willingness to pay and ability to pay for electricity connections and consumption. The study will also evaluate the economic and social impacts of rural electrification.
Field Officers are an essential part of our team and will work together with the rest of our staff to make the study a success.
Through their work as Field Officers, individuals will gain experience in data collection related to energy; will learn new and innovative techniques related to behavioral economics; will represent the project in interactions with energy professionals, households and local officials; will work together with the study’s staff to improve their skills and the skills of their teammates; and will contribute to a deeper understanding of the electricity sub-sector in Kenya.
Roughly half of the study will be spent in Busia and half in Siaya County.
Travel within and between these regions is required.
Overnight stays in Siaya lasting several weeks of the study will also be required.
Field Officers will be expected to work Monday through Saturday.
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues.
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
- Collaborate with teammates to improve own skills and those of teammates.
- Relay field costs to project associate or his/ her designate for reimbursement.
- Represent study in interactions with electricity officials, local Chiefs, village elders and respondents.
- Conduct census mapping of select transformer communities and ensure accuracy of data collected.
- Conduct surveys at households, clearly and accurately recording respondents’ answers.
- Leading by example, showing strong work ethic and an attention to detail.
- Inspiring teammates to improve their skills, while working with teammates to improve ones own.
- Exceptional organization skills to ensure that data collection materials are not lost.
- Clearly answer participants’ questions related to activities when necessary.
- Setup interview times with respondents in conjunction with village elders.
- Demonstrated ability to follow written directions perfectly.
- Ability to persuade others to follow written directions perfectly.
- Experience in data collection and a demonstrated ability to record results clearly and accurately.
- Willingness to learn new data collection techniques and improve on existing skills.
- History of providing feedback to teammates and examples of this feedback improving teammates’ work.
- Ability to work well with others and create a team environment where assisting teammates is encouraged.
- Willingness to travel within Busia and Siaya Counties.
- Willingness to work on Saturdays.
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Experience recruiting participants for research
- Experience with conducting census mapping and interviews
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by email to email@example.com ,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Field Officer.” REF NO: MCP -2013-08-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the (Field Officer). The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.